Stories and Nostalgia

 

What’s New in Lisa’s Studio?


This is my 10th blog entry for 2020! Even though this writing is a bit off schedule I have a great story to tell about my most recent linoleum block print. I have titled it “Nostalgic Holiday”. Inspired by a cute 1977 Volkswagen Bug that came to visit our driveway last month. Our youngest daughter’s friend from Milwaukee purchased it from a private party in a nearby town, with the thought that it would be a great project car. The seller reported that the car started and did run, however it needs much maintenance. After the purchase was made, and on the return trip to Milwaukee the car kept sputtering out and dying in the road. It was a good thing that he was being followed by another friend (in a reliable car) who remembered that we lived nearby. So! I was surprised to get a call from this duo explaining the situation and asking if the car could be kept at our place until they got a new game plan. The story continues to a few weeks later where the whole group of friends including my daughter revisit to help get the bug in drivable condition and to return to Milwaukee… Replacing the battery was job one...then try to get the engine to turn over...sadly, no luck. I can still see them all pushing the car up and down Highway 116 -running their hearts out trying to get enough speed so that the owner can “pop the clutch”. She was eventually towed to Milwaukee where her story continues....

 The thing I love about this print besides that it turned out so wonderfully, is that it prompted so many delightful stories about VW bugs from folks who follow me on social media. I have always loved hearing other folks’ stories and telling my own, but our time in this pandemic of 2020 has really emphasized to me how stories connect us. If you have any VW stories or any fun Christmas car stories, I encourage you to share them. It’s a great way to build and keep connections.

Ongoing

There is still time to see my work locally!  I have pieces of art in three area museums! My piece “Benched Harvest” was most recently accepted to the 2020 MOWA’s (Museum of Wisconsin Art) Members’ show. The show runs form Thursday, November 21, 2020 - January 3, 2021. When I dropped off my piece of art, I was blessed to be able to chat and catch up with a few of my artist friends. Masked and maintaining appropriate physical distancing, of course!



Second my dry point “Acorns” was accepted into Create! A Wisconsin Art Show. Hosted by the Richeson School of Art & Gallery, Create! 2020 Is designed to encourage Wisconsin artists of all experience levels to create an exhibit art. There are so many talented folks from NE Wisconsin and the Fox Valley represented in this art show, please stop in to see all the works. The exhibit runs from October 15th- January 14th.


Finally, I am so honored to share that my piece “Peaceful Protest” was purchased by the Neville Public Museum to be part of their permanent collection!

 I encourage local peeps to stop in at any of the local museums and galleries, we have so many wonderfully talented artists in our area who need your support.

In the works

REST and family time is in the works! I will be taking a bit of time off to enjoy the restful peace of the Christmas season. So, as of this writing there is nothing officially “In the works”. But (said in a whisper) if you are familiar with the art event called #printersolstice on Instagram, I might be partaking in that particular challenge…just sayin’. 😊

 


Along with taking a break from creating art, I will also be taking time off from blogging. Look for the next blog post on January 15, 2021. I cannot wait to see what stories I will have to share with you  by then!

May you all have a blessed and peaceful Holiday Season!

Comments

Popular Posts