January Experiments

 

What’s New in Lisa’s Studio?


Lots of things are new in the studio! In the past few weeks, I have been trying out some gifted art supplies (Thanks Santa!), experimenting with some new techniques, and trying out some art prompts from various art groups on social media. I have also reorganized my studio space a bit to make it more comfortable for my husband (who has a chronic health condition) to spend time with me when I am in the studio. We purchased some new shelving to organize supplies, cozied up the reading corner and moved our "old school" stereo into the studio. Streaming music from your phone is ok, but these old speakers really have a lovely rich sound that my phone just cannot compete with.


Experimenting

Speaking of art prompts. One artist challenge that I really enjoy is called #printersolstice. I have participated in this challenge three years now. While I have not yet successfully made a block for every one of the weekly prompts, it is something that I would like to achieve at some point. I really love the prompts! They make you think and step outside your normal practice.

Pressing leaves in the fall is a favorite hobby of mine.  I came up with this idea for the prompt entitled “under pressure”. I wanted to use more than one color, so I decided to experiment with a jigsaw puzzle linoleum block print.

A jigsaw puzzle block is just what it sounds like and is perfect for designs with very defined areas of different colors. With this block, I can simply pop out the leaves and color them a different color than the book, put the pieces back together and either run it through my press or hand burnish.  This piece was hand burnished and is printed with Akua inks on Hosho rice paper.




Refreshing the online shop and future chances to see my art locally

In the next few weeks I will be refreshing the my online shop L.MariePrintmaking.com, so if there was something you were thinking of getting during your holiday shopping, check back at my shop. There are still many nice affordable pieces available. 

With still so much uncertainty around what artist markets will be like in the coming year due to the Covid pandemic, I plan to continue to promote my shop here as well as on my Facebook and Instagram pages. I am also open to taking on commissions-please reach out if you would like to collaborate. I am just now working up a few submissions to local galleries and museums and once finalized will be excited to share that info here too.

Stay tuned friends! I am excited for the upcoming year!!


Comments

Popular Posts