Resilience and thankfulness

 




What’s New in Lisa’s Studio? New and still a work in progress is my mixed media piece called “Take What You Need”. The idea behind this piece is during this era of global viral pandemic, social unrest, and political/economic uncertainty we are all feeling vulnerable. Offered in this piece are the gifts of goodness or beauty (represented by the plant), hope represented by the origami crane, and joy…Truthfully these are things we can choose daily. Pick out one or two and keep them in your pocket, bring them out to notice them when the world seems to be too much to bear. Try using one of the words as a meditation, use whatever imagery you need to take a few moments to rest. Resting even for a few moments is what keeps us resilient

Since I have not featured a mixed media piece before, I want to share some of my processes with you. Much time goes into these pieces. There are often many layers of colors and shapes and patience is required so that each layer can dry properly. The base colors seen here are achieved by using a gelatin plate, found objects to create the grid and a hand cut stencil modeled after a 1950’s fashion plate. I use recycled food packaging for these stencils, cereal boxes and frozen pizza boxes work great!


The plant and the crane are small linoleum blocks, carved on scrap linoleum from other projects. And I mean small! Plant is 1x2 inches and crane is 2x2 inches. Joy (not shown) is a commercially made stamp that I have in my vast collection of rescued art pieces thrifted from various places around the state. I cannot wait to share the completed piece in a week or two. Stay tuned!

 


“Wear gratitude like a cloak, and it will feed every corner of your life.” ~Rumi.

Join me for Thankful Thursday’s!  (Well, Thankful Friday this week since life has taken over and my blog post is a little late.) Each Thursday I will post 2-3 things that I am thankful for on my Facebook Artist page, I encourage you all to join in and post in the comments what you are giving thanks for. I know that for some this may be easier than it is for others. There is power in being able to re-frame thoughts and feelings friends, and there is always something to be thankful for.

 

Ongoing See my work locally! I am so excited to report that I have pieces of art in three area museums! My piece “Benched Harvest” was most recently accepted to the 2020 MOWA’s (Museum of Wisconsin Art) Members’ show. The show runs form Thursday, November 21, 2020 - January 3, 2021. When I dropped off my piece of art last week, I was blessed to be able to chat and catch up with a few of my artist friends. Masked and maintaining appropriate physical distancing, of course!



Second my dry point “Acorns” was accepted into Create! A Wisconsin Art Show. Hosted by the Richeson School of Art & Gallery, Create! Is designed to encourage Wisconsin artists of all experience levels to create an exhibit art. There are so many talented folks represented in this art show, please stop in to see all the works. The exhibit runs from October 15th- January 14th.

Third, I am so honored to be part of The Neville Public Museum’s 75th Art Annual with my piece named “Peaceful Protest”. Check out the pdf.guide to see all the wonderful contributions to this show.


Watch my Instagram page for updates and check out my online store for new pieces every week.


 

 

Comments

Popular Posts